Our BBQ a few weeks ago was a blast, and i've had the idea for a pineapple upside down cake with buttercream frosting rolling around in my head. What a great vegan treat to top the non-vegan meats (my friends are omnis). I won't tease anymore, so the recipe follows below!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
1 1/4 cups flour (i used 1 cup white and 1/4 whole wheat)
1/2 cup vegan sugar (i used turbinado)
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bottle of maraschino cherries or 6-8 real cherries (pitted)
1 20 oz can pineapple slices in unsweetened pineapple juice
1 cup pineapple juice reserved from can of slices
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 spring-form pan or angel food cake pan
non-stick spray (or whatever you use)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
3) In separate bowl, mix pineapple juice, applesauce, and vinegar.
4) Take pan and spray with non-stick spray all the way up the sides too.
5) Lay pineapple rounds in a design on the bottom of the pan (this will be the top, so make it look pretty! Cut pineapple slices into chunks and arrange around whole slices for extra pineapple-ocity.
6) Take cherries and arrange in pineapple holes and evenly through the top so every slice gets some.
7) Sprinkle pineapple and cherries evenly with brown sugar.
8) Quickly mix the wet ingredients with the dry. Batter will foam up nicely.
9) Pour into pan immediately and bake for about 30-35 minutes or till center is firm.
And yes, my cake is in a frying pan, i forgot that i hadn't a platter large enough to serve it. Ghetto vegan AWAY!